All theory students are required to attend or view online at least one concert or musical performance in the semester and give a two page musical analysis of it using musical terms and concepts learned in theory 101. Any style is welcome!
1) Important information needed:
• date of performance (if given)
•venue (if given)
•music performed (name of pieces if known)
•name of personnel performing or band
•instrumentation (what instruments are being played on each piece)
•website link to the concert
2. Things to consider during each piece while listening to your concert/reporting (you don’t need to answer every one of these but they may help you in your analysis):
•Tonality – Major or minor tonality?
•Tempo – fast, slow, moderate, gradually changing. What does the tempo do to the overall mood of the piece? What kind of effect does it have?
•Meter – can you figure out if it is 4/4? 3/4? 6/8? None of the above?
•Dynamics – loud, soft, gradually changing? How do the dynamics affect the performance? What do they do for the emotions and interpretations of the music?
•Form- is a song repeating in a certain way? Does there seem to be a solo section?
•Anything else- what are the lyrics about (if there are lyrics)? What is the overall effect of the concert? Does the location of the concert change the music at all (if it’s a huge venue, how different does the music feel, etc?)? Did you enjoy the concert, and if so/not, why?
3. Writing Style: Grammar, spelling, syntax, rhetoric and addressing all of the guidelines as listed above.
4. How should the report be formatted?
Typed, average size font (11-12), double-spaced.
Minimum: Approximately two pages.